Pea and Potato Cakes
- 800g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 x 400g tin of Batchelors Irish Peas
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Rashers, fried eggs and/or butter
- Place the potatoes in a pot and add enough cold water to cover them by about 2cm. Add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat and cook for 15-18 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain well. Return to the pan and allow to steam dry for 10-15 seconds.
- Mash until well combined and smooth. Allow to cool.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, divide them into 12 equal portions. Shape each one into a potato cake about 1cm thick.
- Carefully turn the potato cakes in the breadcrumbs until coated all over.
- Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Cook the potato cakes in small batches, leaving 2-3cm between them to avoid crowding. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked potato cakes to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain. Keep warm while you cook the rest. Add a little more oil whenever needed.
- Serve with rashers and/or fried eggs, or simply with a knob of butter on top.