- Preheat the oven to 210°C/425°F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a 19cm/8" deep cake tin or two 900g/2lb loaf tins.
- Sieve the cream flour, salt, bread soda and cream of tartar into a bowl.
- Add the wholemeal, oat bran, wheat germ and wheat bran and mix well.
- Rub in the butter/margarine. Mix the egg, honey and buttermilk together and add sufficient liquid to the dry ingredients. Mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead. Place into the prepared tin or tins and cut a cross on top.
- Sprinkle some pinhead on top, if used.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5 for a further 30 minutes approx.
- When cooked it should have a hollow sound when tapped underneath.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel to cool.
|Odlums Pinhead Porridge Oats (optional)|