8 tbs Bisto Beef Gravy Granules
1.5 kg chuck steak, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 white onion
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 tbs tomato paste
1 x 500ml can of Guinness
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
ground black pepper
1 x 500g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees centigrade
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomato paste, water and Bisto Best Beef Gravy Granules. Stir until the Granules dissolve.
- Add the steak, mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme and Guinness and stir well.
- Transfer into a deep baking dish (around 30 x 22cm) set on a large baking tray. Cover the dish with foil and put into the oven. Bake the filling, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender, around 3.5-4 hours.
- Beat egg and 1tsp of water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a 0.5cm thickness. Make sure it ends up 5cm wider than baking dish.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and uncover.
- Roll out the puff pastry loosely around a rolling pin and then unfurl it over the filling. Crimp the pastry around the edges to make the pie airtight.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash to help it colour and crisp as it cooks.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake until the pastry is puffed and deep golden brown, about 40 mins.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of Bisto Best Beef Gravy (made to pack instructions).
Look no further for your Bisto products, Taste Ireland has all your Irish condiments ready for your next feast!