Giving the classic mac and cheese with a Ballymaloe twist! Plenty of creaminess for the cheese lover with a unquie take on comfort food.
400 dried Macaroni
300ml Whole milk
200g white cheddar (grated)
75g Parmesan (finely grated)
1 garlic clove
100g Ballymaloe Original Relish
300g cooked ham (diced or shredded)
100g white breadcrumbs
3 Tbs chives (finely chopped)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C (fan 180oC) or Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 8/ 10 minutes until al dente (or according to pack instructions). Drain well.
- in the same saucepan add the milk, cream, Cheddar, Parmesan, garlic and salt & pepper to the pasta. Place on a medium heat to bring it to a simmer. Add back in the cooked pasta and stir continuously.
- Allow to simmer slightly for a few minutes to thicken before stirring in the ham. Transfer to a large baking dish or four individual ones.
- Dot your Ballymaloe Original Relish all over and swirl in a little, before setting aside.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, Parmesan and two tablespoons of chives together in a small bowl and scatter them evenly over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy. Scatter over the remaining chives and serve straight away with a crisp green salad.