Share with us on how you use Kerrygold Butter by tagging us with #tasteirelandau! Kerrygold Butter is only available at the Taste Ireland Botany Store (NSW).
For the crust
1/3 cup (70 g) brown sugar packed
2 cups (200 g) graham cracker crumbs
½ teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons (100 g) melted Kerrygold Unsalted Butter
For the filling
5 large (90 gm) egg yolks
½ cup (100 gm) brown sugar
2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cups (395 gm) heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup (145 gm) whole buttermilk
For the topping
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 cups of fruit of your choice (berries, sliced stone fruit, etc)
½ cup blackberry or raspberry jam1 tablespoon lime juice or water
To prepare the crust:
- Whisk together the brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the melted Kerrygold unsalted butter and stir until well combined. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9-10” tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
To prepare the filling:
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the heavy whipping cream, buttermilk, and vanilla bean paste.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Once gently bubbling, slowly drizzle a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the beaten egg yolk mixture, being sure to whisk all the while. Continue to add the cream and whisk until the contents of both bowls have been combined.
- Pour the entirety of the mixture back into the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook for about 4 minutes, constantly stirring, until thickened slightly (about the consistency of mayonnaise).
- Pull the pan off the heat, stir in the lemon zest, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, stirring once every minute or so.
- Pour the content of the pan into the prepared pie crust and smooth the filling out.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of the pie filling and place in the fridge to chill.
To prepare the topping:
- Combine the jam and juice or water with a whisk. Add a little more liquid to make the topping more viscous if desired.
- Drizzle the “sauce” on top of pieces of sliced pie and serve with fresh fruit!