These Chorizo & Cheese Jambons, courtesy of Gills Bakes & Cakes, are a delicious take on the traditional, classic Irish jambon. Quick and easy to make, fill them with anything from cooked chorizo to ham, hot dog sausages, pepperoni or veggies.
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes - Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Serves: 6
- Skill: Easy
- Allergens: Dairy, sulphites, egg
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 6 tbsp chorizo sausage (diced)
- 2 handfuls grated cheese
- 4 tbsp Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20g butter
- 15g plain flour
- 200g milk
- 120g Cheddar (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Pan-fry the chorizo sausage for a few minutes and then leave it to cool.
- To make your cheese sauce, pop your butter in a pan on a medium heat until melted, then mix your flour through. Add in the milk and whisk until you have a sauce that's thick and smooth. Stir in your grated cheese and mix until smooth. Season with salt & pepper, then leave to cool.
- To make the base of your jambons, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll out your puff pastry sheet and cut into 6 even squares.
- Spoon your cheese sauce onto the centre of each square and sprinkle on the cooked chorizo.
- Fold the corners of your pastry into the centre to create your jambon shape, then brush the pastry with some beaten egg.
- Sprinkle some extra grated Cheddar on top, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool, then serve with a generous side of Ballymaloe Original Relish.