A treasure of weeknight family dinners - perfect for everyone. Check out our recommended Ballymaloe Shepard's Pie - made with delicious Ballymaloe Original County Relish.
Shepherd’s Pie is a family favourite and for good reason; its mix of lamb in rich sauce smothered with buttery mash is comfort food at its best. Our recipe uses Ballymaloe Original Relish in the sauce, giving an added layer of flavour to this kitchen classic.
Make it Shepherdless with lentils and sweet potato.
- 30g butter
- 110g (4oz) onion (chopped)
- 30g flour
- 450ml stock
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1 tsp parsley (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 450g minced cooked lamb (or sweet potatoes and lentils)
- 450g mashed potato
- Garlic butter
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions, cover and sweat until soft. Add the flour, stir and cook until brown.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil
- Add the tomato puree, Ballymaloe Original Relish, herbs, and salt & pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb and stir well. Transfer the mixture to a pie dish
- Cover with mashed potato and score with a fork
- Heat in a moderate oven, 180ºC/Gas Mark 4, for about 30 minutes
- Serve with some garlic butter and Ballymaloe Original Relish.
What are your Shepard's Pie tips and tricks? Do you have yours with meat or veg, what's the ratio? What's your favourite stock to use - gravy, or something more homemade?